Monday, September 29, 2008

Day 7: Elimination Diet

This week has gotten progressively more challenging as another day passes, another day of NO:
gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut...)
dairy
cane sugar
caffeine
corn
tomatoes
soy (tofu, miso, tempeh, braggs, tamari, soy sauce etc)
red meat/pork

Last night, as the day was ending and my tears were finally subsiding, I affirmed that it's better to put myself through these withdrawls right now while I am still somewhere familiar with Gina and friends to support me.  Would I be able to do this diet on my own, all the way far away in a new, and different place? 

I am eliminating all of the most common allergens, and after 21 days will start to add one allergen back in at a time, eating it with at least 2 of the three meals and testing myself for my body's reaction.  I have been coping with digestive issues for too long, and its time I get to the bottom of it all. To truly listen to what my body is telling me, to build and regain my body's trust. 

So I am a recovering sugar addict.  A comfort food addict.  An 'i want to eat whatever i want when i want' addict.  

Being raised on coca-cola instead of water, packaged foods and canned corn/greenbeans instead of fresh vegetables, ice cream for dessert every night, it has taken its toll.  

And now that I am finally taking my digestive issues seriously, knowing that even after this diet ends in a month or two, there will be foods I must avoid and forever eliminate, I realize:
I can never eat dinner at my parent's house again.

Below is a picture of my favorite breakfast last summer:


Porridge oats cooked with milk, maple syrup and chopped peaches, spelt/buckwheat/cornmeal buttermilk waffles (a recipe I adapted) w/ nutella and pb on top, one scrambled egg, and chopped banana.  Out of the frame is a tea pot of Lyons (a black tea from Ireland).  

No comments: